Guidelines for writing grant budgets for applications

If you apply for a grant you need to do a calculation of the full cost of the project. This should include all overhead, and even if the funding agency does not allow the grant to be used for that purpose. The calculation must be done in this Excel document. The document should be signed by the Prefekt and handed over to Eva Jurlander together with a physical or electronic copy of your application, for archiving.

Here are some things you should think about:

  • Salaries should include employer social costs (LBK), for 2020 52.0% (or 25.20% for employees born 1938-1954, or 53,86% for employees born 1988 and later)
  • The indirect costs are currently (for the year 2020) 35.63% and these are automatically added in the excel documents together with the direct costs for premises (8.17%). This gives a total overhead of 43.8%.
  • If the funding agency does not allow to use the grant for overhead (or has a maximum percentage allowed) the line samfinansiering on the first page of the excel document should be adjusted so that the project costs are balanced by the total funding and so that the amount applied for does not exceed the overhead limit set by the funding agency.
  • Even if the funding agency does not put a limit on the overhead (as is the case for VR), it is advisable to anyway limit the total overhead applied for. The department has a policy to take out a total of 35% overhead on VR grants - the difference between the actual overhead (including premises) and this number is covered by samfinansiering (co-financing). VR gives the option to specify costs for premises and indirect costs separately. The simplest approach is to specify zero in costs for premises and 35% for indirect costs. The remaining overhead (8,8%) can be specified in the "Other costs" section of your budget and should be explained as co-financing from the department in the budget motivation.
  • If you are applying for a VR infrastructure grant or an ERC grant, this should to be reported in advance to forskningssevice and may have to be signed by the vice chancellor.
Last modified 5 months ago Last modified on Mar 20, 2020, 9:38:59 AM

Attachments (12)

Download all attachments as: .zip